Michael Jackson Doctor Conrad Murray To Be Arraigned

Murray to head to trial in death of Jackson following Tuesday hearing.
By Gil Kaufman


Dr. Conrad Murray
Photo: Frederick M. Brown/ Getty Images

Cardiologist Dr. Conrad Murray, the only person charged in the June 2009 death of Michael Jackson, will be arraigned on Tuesday morning (January 25) on an involuntary manslaughter charge. Murray, who was serving as the 50-year-old pop icon's personal physician at the time, is expected to plead not guilty in the case.

According to CNN, the hearing in front of Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, is only slated to last a few minutes. While Murray has the right to demand a trial within 60 days, it is not expected that a date will be set for one on Tuesday.

After more than a week of testimony, Pastor ruled during a preliminary hearing in early January that there was enough evidence to bring Murray's case to trial. In the meantime, Murray remains free on $75,000 bond, but Pastor blocked the doctor from using his California medical license until the trial is completed.

"Michael is not with us today because of an utterly inept, incompetent, reckless doctor — the defendant Conrad Murray," Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said in his final arguments in the preliminary hearing, where a series of witnesses recounted Murray's actions during the minutes and hours before and after Jackson's death. The King of Pop died as a result of what the Los Angeles County coroner's office called acute propofol poisoning, a reference to a powerful surgical anesthetic that the singer reportedly requested as a sleep aid to combat chronic insomnia.

While prosecutors appear to be building a case that Murray acted recklessly in attending to Jackson in the singer's final hours, CNN reported that the doctor's lawyers appeared satisfied with the results of the preliminary hearing thanks to some testimony they got from prosecution witnesses that might help raise some reasonable doubt about their client's guilt at trial.

"I think the prosecution is going to change their tactics in this case," defense lawyer J. Michael Flanagan said after the preliminary hearing. "It's not the same as what they gave in opening statements." The defense reportedly is set to argue that it was Jackson himself who administered the final, fatal dose of propofol after waking in a panic from a fitful night of sleep. One of the prosecution's expert witnesses in the case admitted under cross-examination that he made a math mistake and that the recalculation supports the defense theory that Jackson may have given himself the dose of propofol that killed him.

CNN reported that Dr. Richard Ruffalo, an anesthesiologist hired by the prosecution, was the last witness to take the stand and his admission about making a mistake on the calculation of the level of propofol in Jackson's stomach fluid reportedly elicited gasps from the members of Jackson's family who were sitting in the hearing room.

Murray's lawyers have suggested that a frustrated Jackson may have poured the anesthetic — which is administered intravenously — into his juice bottle while the doctor was out of his bedroom. "Now it doesn't make sense unless he ingested it orally in a huge amount," Ruffalo testified. The anesthesiologist added that Murray could still be at fault for leaving dangerous drugs near a patient who was allegedly addicted to sedatives and sleep aids.

"It's like leaving a syringe next to a heroin addict," Ruffalo stated. "If he's not getting what he wants, when you leave the room he might reach for it himself ... Either way, it doesn't matter. He abandoned his patient and didn't resuscitate appropriately." Ruffalo said Murray should have anticipated that Jackson, who had previously asked to inject himself with the drug, might potentially administer it to himself. "He gets upset if he doesn't get his milk," he said, explaining that Jackson often referred to propofol as his "milk."

In addition, the pathologist who conducted Jackson's autopsy acknowledged it was possible, though improbable, that the singer gave himself the fatal propofol dose. Speaking to police two days after Jackson's death, Murray told investigators that a sleepless Jackson had begged him for more propofol on the day he died. The King of Pop was in the midst of a grueling series of rehearsals for his planned "This Is It" comeback shows at London's O2 Arena at the time of his death.

A civil lawsuit filed last year by Jackson's mother against the producer of the concerts, AEG Live, alleged that the company had warned the entertainer several weeks before he died that if he missed any more rehearsals they were going to "pull the plug" on the gigs, which the cash-strapped Jackson was depending on to revive his stalled career.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1656583/michael-jackson-doctor-arraigned.jhtml

Cat Power Catherine Bell Chandra West Charisma Carpenter Charli Baltimore

'Cast in Metal: Final MTV Interview with Ronnie James Dio

In spring 2009, just as Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio) were getting ready to put out their debut full-length, 'The Devil You Know,' Dio and bassist Geezer Butler sat down in an apartment in New York's East Village to talk about the making of the disc, the sorry state of the [...]

Source: http://blog.mtvmusic.com/2010/05/27/final-mtv-music-blog-interview-with-ronnie-james-dio/

Connie Nielsen Cristina Dumitru Daisy Fuentes Dania Ramirez Danica Patrick

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: ?Onion SportsDome? Reports The Knicks Abduct Tony Parker Just Before NBA Kidnapping Deadline

Onion SportsDome COMEDY CENTRAL and The Onion have teamed up to bring viewers the most intense televised sports news program in recorded human history. “Onion SportsDome,” a 30-minute rundown of the finest in sports news, analysis, scores, highlights, rumor-mongering and petty personal attacks is the signature show of the Onion Sports Network, which has grown [...]

Source: http://www.celebritymound.com/video-exclusive-onion-sportsdome-reports-the-knicks-abduct-tony-parker-just-before-nba-kidnapping-deadline/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=video-exclusive-onion-sportsdome-reports-the-knicks-abduct-tony-parker-just-before-nba-kidnapping-deadline

Marisa Coughlan Marisa Miller Marisa Tomei Marla Sokoloff Marley Shelton

Kevin Smith Defends 'Red State' Road Show

While critics bemoan high ticket prices, director says his 'fanbase is already paying 60, 65 bucks to see me stand there by myself.'
By Eric Ditzian, with reporting by Josh Horowitz


Kevin Smith
Photo: MTV News

People were pissed off. Kevin Smith had seemed to indicate that he was going to hold a one-of-a-kind auction at the Sundance Film Festival last month, selling the rights to "Red State" to the highest bidder. Instead, after the genre-bending, horror-meets-thriller-meets-buddy-comedy flick premiered, Smith announced he was bypassing the traditional distribution model and releasing the movie himself.

And people were even more pissed when they found out what that strategy would entail — namely, $60 or more to see "Red State" as Smith took it on a road show across the country. As the writer/director himself put it during a live-stream interview with MTV News, "I saw a lot of people saying online, '60 bucks to see a movie? F--- him!' " But those people, Smith argued, are missing the point. He and his producing pals are seeking a way to avoid getting sucked down the Hollywood marketing rabbit hole and instead bring the movie directly to their fans — building buzz along the way — before the film hit theaters nationwide in the fall. The 15-city tour will include both a screening of the film and a talk by Smith, akin to the shows he's long staged on college campuses and other venues.

"Fanbase is already paying 60, 65 bucks to see me stand there by myself, sweating, fatty, go like, 'I got thrown off a plane once,' " Smith laughed, referencing the Southwest Airlines incident in which he was chucked from a plane for being overweight.

Smith originally wanted to kick off the tour at Carnegie Hall, the same venue he sold out for a talk last year. But the venue was already booked, so they settled on another iconic New York theater: Radio City Music Hall. The venue holds almost 6,000 people, and while Smith doesn't expect to be able to fill all those seats, he'll be able to show off the film in a high-profile setting and start to pay back his investors.

To all his detractors, who scoff at the idea of $60 for a movie and talk, Smith has one thing to say: "Wait till October and you'll see it for, like, 10 bucks in a multiplex."

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Related Videos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657707/kevin-smith-defends-red-state-road-show.jhtml

Kelly Rowland Kerry Suseck Kim Kardashian Kim Smith Kim Yoon jin

MSNBC Commentator Rachael Maddow Gives Props to Florida Death Metal

When political commentators mention extreme metal on the air it's usually in reference to something tragic like a school shooting, church burning or suicide pact. But when MSNBC liberal correspondent Rachael Maddow invoked the names of Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Obituary, Death and Deicide it was mostly to take a stab at Republicans, not [...]

Source: http://blog.mtvmusic.com/2010/05/14/msnbc-commentator-rachael-maddow-gives-props-to-florida-death-metal/

Kelly Ripa Kelly Rowland Kerry Suseck Kim Kardashian Kim Smith

The Decemberists Cover REM, We Link to the Song

In an age where most FM radio is driven by the same kind of lowest-common-denominator corporate programming that determines what Lady Gaga song get played at the mall, it’s nice to know that stations like L.A.’s KCRW still exist to champion the work of skilled artists and help listeners find some new groups they may not [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/beatcrave/~3/dAeZ7h9aepY/

Robin Tunney Rosario Dawson Rose Byrne Rose McGowan Roselyn Sanchez

Beyonce, Leonardo DiCaprio Lead Flurry Of Movie Remakes

Russell Brand, Willow Smith, Jonah Hill are just a few stars looking to revamp film and TV classics like 'Arthur', 'Annie' and '21 Jump Street.'
By Terri Schwartz


Beyoncé
Photo: Jemal Countess/Getty Images

What do Willow Smith and Beyoncé have in common with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill and Kenny Wormald? They're all starring (or in talks to star) in the latest round of remakes of beloved films and TV shows coming down the pike.

On Thursday, news broke that Beyoncé would be starring in a Clint Eastwood-directed remake of the 1976 Barbra Streisand classic "A Star Is Born" (which was a remake of a 1954 movie that remade a 1937 film). In the meantime, Will Smith is reportedly petitioning Sony to remake "Annie" (the 1982 movie and 1977 musical) starring his 10-year-old daughter, Willow, best known for whipping her hair.

In October it was announced that Leonardo DiCaprio and best bud Tobey Maguire would be starring in Baz Luhrmann's 3-D retelling of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby," with Carey Mulligan joining as Daisy Buchanan.

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have been working on bringing the '80s Johnny Depp-starring television series "21 Jump Street" to the big screen since 2008, and they might even get Depp to cameo in it in time for the film's March 16, 2012, release date.

And let's not forget the long hunt for a Ren McCormack (the character Kevin Bacon made famous in 1984), after Zac Efron and Chace Crawford dropped out of the planned "Footloose" remake that finally landed dancer Kenny Wormald the role of his life.

Then there's "Arthur," the Russell Brand-starring remake of the 1981 screwball comedy about a happily drunk millionaire who risks everything for love. The film has tapped everyone from Helen Mirren to Greta Gerwig and Nick Nolte.

Two recently announced remakes are "Lethal Weapon" and "The Wizard of Oz," which are still in early development and without stars attached. Warner Bros. announced their plans to reboot the Mel Gibson-starring franchise on Thursday and tapped writer Will Beall to pen the script with completely new characters. And director Robert Zemeckis announced back in November that he planned on remaking the 1939 Technicolor classic using the script from the original film, with Warner Bros. hoping Robert Downey Jr. will play Oz.

Just this past year, films from "Clash of the Titans" to "The Karate Kid" to "A Nightmare on Elm Street" were remade for the big screen and were well-received by audiences. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Clash of the Titans" went on to become two of the top 10 highest-grossing films of 2010, while "Piranha 3D" and "The A-Team" also went on to strong successes, proving that there definitely is a market for these kinds of remakes.

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Related Photos Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1656416/beyonce-leonardo-dicaprio-lead-flurry-movie-remakes.jhtml

Jaime Pressly Jamie Chung Jamie Gunns Jamie Lynn Sigler Janet Jackson